Core Investigation Skills
This one-day investigations skills course is suitable for line managers, supervisors, human resources and employee relations professionals. This course gives delegates an overview of the investigation process along with the skills that they need to undertake a basic fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation in order to assess the most suitable remedy to a workplace issue. The course is also useful for anyone who may be required to commission an investigation as it delivers an overview of the process and the places emphasis on the development of terms of reference and a coherent investigation report. The skills are particularly suitable for investigating cases such as grievances, complaints and one-off incidents, none of which are likely to result in a dismissal.
- Duration: 1 day
- Delivery: This course is available for in-house delivery or delegates can attend an open course at the TCM Academy.
- Trainers: Delivered by TCM’s expert resolution consultants.
- Suitable for: Line managers, supervisors, human resources and employee relations professionals. Lawyers, union officials and anyone who may be required to undertake a fact-finding exercise or neutral evaluation into a workplace issue.
- Learning outcomes: Learn how to set up an investigation and how to run a fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation.
- Reviews: Please click here for details of our TrustPilot reviews.
- Cost: £395 + VAT for open courses. Contact us to find out our latest prices for in-house courses.
What key skills do delegates learn on this course that will benefit your organisation?
This one-day core investigations skills course gives delegates an overview of the investigation process along with the skills that they need to undertake a basic fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation in order to assess the most suitable remedy to a workplace issue. The course is also useful for anyone who may be required to commission an investigation as it delivers an overview of the process and the places emphasis on the development of terms of reference and a coherent investigation report. The skills are particularly suitable for investigating cases such as grievances, complaints and one-off incidents, none of which are likely to result in a dismissal.
What delegates will learn from attending this course:
Following a fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation, your organisation will be able to make an evidence based, fair and objective decision about how to resolve a workplace issue. Delegates will also understand how to set up and run a workplace investigation in cases where they may be required to commission one.
- Understand how to set up and manage an investigation, fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation.
- Possess the key skills to undertake a thorough fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation: active listening, interviewing, funnelling, summarising and note-taking.
- Understand how to prepare a well-structured final report that will withstand internal and external scrutiny.
- Recognise the importance of probity, impartiality and neutrality
- Possess techniques to manage an interview, including how to interview relevant witnesses.
- Recognise the importance of prior research and planning to enable a speedy, rigorous and objective fact-finding exercise or neutral evaluation.
- Understand the context of the fact-finding exercise or neutral evaluation and how it links to other resolution processes such as mediation or coaching.
- The legislative and statutory framework of workplace investigations.
- The responsibilities of the employer, the rights of the employee and the role of the investigator
- What makes a good investigation and what makes a bad investigation.
- The difference between a fact-finding exercise, a neutral evaluation and a full investigation.
- Focus on the key stages of a fact-finding exercise and a neutral evaluation
- Scoping the process and agreeing terms of reference
- Key investigation skills: impartiality, active listening, questioning, funnelling, summarising, assertiveness, and note-taking.
- How to gather information, collect statements, evidence, mitigation, etc., and how to determine relevance.
- How to compile a well-structured final report which will withstand internal and external scrutiny.
- All delegates will receive The TCM investigator handbook which they can utilise to conduct investigations. The handbook includes copies of the following templates which can be adapted for use within the delegates’ organisations.
- Workplace investigation protocol
- Letters to various parties within an investigation
- A robust final report template
TCM trainers are experts at creating a safe, empowering and challenging training environment.
Numerous learning and teaching methods are used during the course and participants develop their knowledge through group discussions, case studies and participation in role-plays. Peer-based evaluation and learning feature heavily throughout the course and this is supported by the course facilitator’s extensive and detailed assessment of learner’s progress.
- Training delivered by a world class trainer who has practical experience of the subject being taught.
- The unique online TCM Delegate Zone™ which includes useful tool-kits, check sheets, videos, papers and other resources for delegates.
- Free copy of the TCM Workplace Investigators Handbook™.
- One to one coaching for delegates during the course and once the course concludes, as required.
- Assessment costs and a personal report for each learner.
- Full access to the amazing resources of the TCM Community for all delegates including lifetime phone and email support.
- A free refresher workshop or webinar 6 months after the training concludes.
- Thursday 6th February 2020
- Monday 8th June 2020
Would you like this course delivered as an in-house course?
TCM specialises in tailoring all of our courses for in-house delivery. We also design and deliver bespoke courses and training programmes for our customers. If you would like to find out more, please call us now on 0800 294 9787 or complete the enquiry form below and we’ll call you straight back.