How to undertake a fair and rigorous workplace investigation
Organisations are now spending more time, money and energy responding to grievances, allegations of bullying, harassment, inappropriate behaviour, misconduct or discrimination.
Recent legislation coupled with ACAS guidelines means that all organisations are required to have a structured approach to employment relations and workplace issues. Central to this is access to skilled workplace investigators who can undertake an effective investigation, thereby enabling the employer to reach a fair, objective and reasonable outcome.
The experts from TCM Group bring the Practical Investigation Skills course for in-house and consultant investigators. This course is predominantly for use as part of grievance, bullying and harassment and disciplinary investigations, however, it is also suitable for investigators involved in complaints, misconduct and other types of investigations. This course is approved by the ILM (Institute of Leadership and Management).
Key program objectives:
- How to clarify the context of the investigation
- The legislative and statutory framework of workplace investigations
- The role of the investigator and the potential impact of an investigation
- The importance of prior research and planning to enable a speedy, rigorous and objective investigation
- The impact of probity, bias and prejudice
- How to manage the investigation process
- Key investigation skills: active listening, interviewing, funneling, summarising and note-taking
- Techniques to manage an effective investigation interview, including how to interview relevant witnesses
- How to gather information, collect statements, evidence, mitigation, etc., and how to determine relevance
- How to compile a well-structured final report which will withstand internal and external scrutiny
- The ‘Burchell Test’ and how to apply the civil standard of proof in a workplace investigation
Agendas and Objectives
- Duration: Two days
- Suitable for: Internal & External Investigators, Managers, Supervisors & Team Leaders, HR & ER Professionals, Business Leaders, Consultants, Solicitors, Barristers, Trade Union Officials, Qualities Advisers & Harassment Contact Officers
- Learning outcomes: Learn how to investigate effectively
- Delivery: In-house (London and regional)
- Trainers: Only ever delivered by full time TCM trainers.
- Cost: £495 + VAT for open courses.
- Contact us for our latest prices for in-house prices.
Upcoming Course Dates 2018/2019:
- 30th & 31st October 2018
- 9th & 10th April 2019
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Understand how to set up and manage a workplace investigation.
- Possess the key skills to undertake a thorough investigation.
- Understand how to prepare a final report that will withstand internal and external scrutiny.
The TCM Group will supply your company with the following documents:
- Samples investigation reports, letters and documents
- HR and investigator guidance notes
See what course participants have to say
"TCM created a safe environment where I could fully absorb the framework of Investigations, discuss the cases, understand the importance of the templates provided and practice my interviewing and investigating skills. I would really recommend this course to anyone who wants to gain real investigating skills."
"I have now completed two courses with TCM and would not hesitate to recommend them. It was brilliant and professional training in a very comfortable manner. "
"I found the practical investigation skills course to be fun, engaging and practical. All of my objectives were met particularly the mini exercises were good as they ensured I was engaged. I considered my skills prior attending this course to be 3 out of 10, since completion I would consider to have risen to an 8! I would recommend this course to fellow colleagues and friends."
"I found the practical investigation skills course to be very informative and interesting. The course met all of my objectives I particularly loved the practical skills. I would recommend this course to my friends and colleagues. It is a really good course to give you the confidence to investigate complaints and allegations."
"I thoroughly enjoyed the course. There was a fair balance between legal/case law examples and theory/practical skills. The practical examples were particularly useful and I will be using the knowledge gained to improve my own practice. The course was interesting, thought provoking and it created debate! I would be happy to recommend this course to anyone!"