Practical Mediation Skills
This two-day ILM approved programme provides delegates with the skills, competencies and strategies to undertake an effective mediation intervention as part of their existing role. The course is delivered by some of the top mediation trainers in the UK and it is powered by TCM’s award winning FAIR Mediation Model™
HR, Union officials, supervisors, managers and leaders are spending more time, money and energy working with conflict and negotiating outcomes to difficult situations. This course is based on our extensive experience of training mediators and undertaking mediation interventions in a wide array of organisations. The course delivers a range of practical skills and techniques which can be used to bring quarrels, complaints, grievances, conflicts and disputes to a constructive resolution.
In an increasingly diverse working environment, coupled with the introduction of a raft of new employment legislation, it is essential that HR, unions, managers and leaders have the skills that enable them to meet the expectations and needs of their stakeholders. Mediation and dispute resolution skills are central to modern management.
This section explains how the training works:
Duration: 2 days
Suitable for: Managers, leaders, HR professionals and others responsible for managing conflict and change.
Learning outcomes: Learn how to mediate workplace disputes effectively.
Trainers: Delivered by our expert TCM trainers.
Delivery: In-house (London & Regional) & open access.
Cost: £695 + VAT for open courses. Contact us to find out our latest prices for in-house courses.
Who should take this course?
We recommend this course to Workplace, Commercial and other professional Mediators, Management and Mediation Consultants, Facilitators, Coaches and Change Agents.
- The skills necessary to preserve the psychological contract by detecting, preventing conflict from escalating and resolving conflicts at an early stage.
- The model you need to set up and conduct successful internal mediation’s.
- The confidence to bring awareness about mediation to their colleagues and promote a non adversarial culture in your organisation.
- Module 1(3 hours) : The nature of conflict.
- Destructive and constructive conflict.
- Conflict management styles.
- Module 2(1.5 hours) : Introducing Mediation.
- Context and benefits of Mediation.
- Role of the mediator.
- Module 3 (1.5 hours): The FAIR mediation model.
- Introducing the FAIR mediation model.
- Managing individual meetings.
- 5 stages of the joint meeting.
- Demonstration of FAIR mediation model.
- Module 4 (1.5 hours): The 5 core mediation skills.
- Securing a commitment.
- Review of the day and Close.
- Module 5: (6 hours) Skills practice and role play.
- Active Listening.
- Problem Solving.
- First meetings.
- Joint meeting.
Key program objectives:
- Participants will understand the nature of conflict.
- Participants will understand the principles, the process and the practical applications of mediation.
- Participants will be able to use key skills and techniques to prevent and resolve conflicts before they escalate.
Learning styles and aftercare
This course utilities a variety of teaching styles, including facilitator presentation, participant discussion, personal reflection, group exercises and scenarios, workshops and role-plays. All activities take into account participants’ individual learning styles and provide a broad range of experiential and shared learning. All delegates receive twelve months’ follow up support to help them to embed the learning.
Our track record
Practical Mediation Skills™ is one of the most well recognised conflict resolution skills short courses available. We pride ourselves on delivering a world class course to delegates. Don’t just take our word for it, please click here to read reviews and accolades from previous delegates.
The course is designed and delivered by the UK’s top dispute resolution experts. However, in the unlikely event that you are not satisfied for any reason, we would welcome the opportunity to put things right. Please contact us immediately and advise us of the problem and we will do our best to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. If we are unable to do so and you remain dissatisfied, we will offer a full or part refund. *
*Refunds are only available where we have been provided with immediate notification of the problem and we have tried, and failed, to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.
Unrivalled aftercare and support.
TCM delivers extensive support for delegates on all of our courses before, during and after the course concludes.
Here is a summary of what delegates can expect from TCM:
- Training delivered by a world class trainer who has practical experience of the subject being taught.
- The unique online TCM Delegate Zone™ which includes useful tool-kits, check sheets, videos, papers and other resources for delegates.
- Free copy of the TCM Delegate Pack.
- One to one coaching for delegates during the course and once the course concludes, as required.
- Assessment costs and a personal report for each learner.
- Full access to the amazing resources of the TCM Community for all delegates including lifetime phone and email support.
- A free refresher workshop or webinar 6 months after the training concludes.
Would you like this course delivered as an in-house course?
TCM specialises in tailoring all of our courses for in-house delivery. We also design and deliver bespoke courses and training programmes for our customers. If you would like to find out more, please call us now on 0800 294 9787 or complete the enquiry form below and we’ll call you straight back.