ViPAR™: Violence prevention and resolution for healthcare professionals.
The ViPAR programme™ has been developed in response to the NHS violence prevention and reduction standard (2020), to help support a safe and secure working environment for healthcare staff, safeguarding them against abuse, aggression and violence.*
The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that between 8 and 38% of health workers suffer physical violence at some point in their careers. Many more are subjected to verbal abuse and aggression. Not only does violence and aggression have a profound negative impact on the physical and psychological wellbeing of staff, but it can also impair their job productivity and motivation. On this basis, violence poses a damaging risk to the quality of care and can also lead to financial loss for healthcare organisations.
We developed this program to support healthcare employees, under their duty of care to protect staff from threats and violence at work.
*This is not a physical safety or self-defence course. It equips delegates with the verbal skills to prevent and resolve risks of violence)
Key facts about ViPAR™
How to reduce abuse, aggression and violence against healthcare staff
The ViPAR Programme™ was developed by TCM’s CEO, David Liddle, having recognised a need amongst healthcare organisations for support with ensuring staff are suitably equipped in spotting, preventing and responding to verbal abuse and threats of violence.
ViPAR™ draws on TCM’s extensive experience of working with some of the toughest conflicts imaginable within workplaces and communities across the UK. The TCM Group have a wealth of experience in working with NHS and other healthcare organisations through conflict resolution, HR transformation, leadership development and cultural change programmes.
All of this experience ensures that the ViPAR Programme™ is truly unique and equips frontline healthcare professionals, managers and support staff with the skills and strategies they need to keep themselves, their colleagues, and of course their patients, safe.
Programme Design and Delivery
The ViPAR Programme™ is delivered by TCM’s expert trainers as a blended learning programme comprising either half or a full day of classroom teaching plus online e-learning modules which support the delegates learning.
The programme can be adapted and tailored to meet your specific needs and requirements. Please contact us on 0800 294 9787 or complete a short online enquiry form and we will call you straight back.
What learning objectives does The ViPAR Programme™ deliver?
As a result of participating in the ViPAR Programme™, delegates will develop practical skills and strategies relating to:
- Active listening skills and techniques.
- The power of questioning and reframing.
- Being aware of body language and nonverbal communication.
- Building rapport and promoting a positive patient experience.
- How the brain works during conflict or threat (neuroscience) and the benefits of Positive Psychology.
- Social and emotional intelligence and how these can take the heat out of a difficult situation.
- Negotiation skills – securing a win/win outcome to a difficult situation.
- Spotting and responding to micro aggressions.
- The vital de-escalation techniques required to prevent harm and loss.
- Dealing with issues related to mental health.
- Staying safe – what to do when dialogue won’t work.
What are the benefits of attending The ViPAR Programme™?
The benefits include:
- Delegates develop enhanced communication skills which are universally valuable and transferable.
- Healthcare employers should see a reduction in acts of violence against their employees and patients.
- The workplace will be safer and healthier as issues are resolved at an earlier stage thereby reducing the risk of violence or aggression.
- The course aligns employee experience to patient care and safety, thereby increasing levels of employee engagement and patient satisfaction.
- As a result of issues being resolved in a satisfactory manner, healthcare employers will experience a reduction in employee sickness and associated costs and absence levels.
- The reputation of your healthcare trust will be enhanced thanks to the investment you are making in your people. This has a consequent positive impact on the retention and recruitment of staff.
- Your healthcare trust will be seen to aligning their core values with the way that staff are treated. This is about employers ‘walking the talk’.
Reviews and Recommendations of The TCM Group
“TCM are without question a professional outfit, every member of staff was knowledgable, courteous and engaging. An excellent location and facilitators, friendly staff, good environment and pacing and delivery of content was pertinent and conductive to learning. Would definitely recommend!” Jonathon Williams- Leadership Facilitator at Dorset Healthcare University NHS Foundation Trust
“David and his team were superb to work with in every way, generous with their time, inspiring and motivating… they delivered fantastic training and worked with staff at all levels as experts in conflict management. David was both emphatic and intuitive, he made it easy to work with and he was very supportive to me as a client. He is a genuinely nice person trying to make a difference in people’s lives… highly recommend.” Cathe Gaskell- B&H specialist at London Ambulance Service
Independent report into the development of a TCM System system within Northumbria Healthcare NHS FT. Described by the authors as one of the most effective examples of an integrated conflict management system ever seen in the UK
Managing Conflict. A practical guide to resolution in the workplace (Kogan Page/CIPD)
David Liddle’s new book, Managing Conflict (CIPD/Kogan Page), provides numerous toolkits and checklists to help employees, managers and HR to resolve conflict constructively and to de-escalate difficult situations. It includes case studies from Tesco, Arcadia Group, The Metropolitan Police, Capgemini and many, many others.
‘David Liddle has written an incredibly useful book that shows how to measure the costs of conflict in any workplace, and how to prevent and resolve it. It is insightful and immensely practical, and I recommend it highly.’ Kenneth Cloke, best selling author and thought leader.
Trending at TCM
You may also be interested in this additional resources.