Team Development in the NHS
PRINCIPAL TRANSFORMATION CONSULTANTElizabeth Nuckowska
This team development programme was delivered by Resolution Consultant Elizabeth Nuckowska. Elizabeth has over 25 years’ experience in HR, spanning public, private and not for profit sectors. Since qualifying as a mediator in 2008, Elizabeth has finetuned her values-driven expertise to cover consulting, facilitation, mediation, and investigation. Integrity and professionalism are at the heart of everything she does. Elizabeth was selected as the best fit for this case due to her extensive training work in the healthcare sector, including the NHS. She has won numerous awards for her Leadership and Diversity programmes, underlining her success in transforming team and leadership cultures within organisations.
Download this case study
"The programme shifted the perspective and approach of the team, moving from reactive to proactive and negative to positive. Team members recognise commitment and enthusiasm as the main effects of the development programme: a continual commitment to the creation of a positive team climate, individual and collective roles; and an enthusiastic approach to devoting time to maintaining the new culture."
Read more case studies:
IntroductionA major London hospital, serving as a leading centre for specialist health services, worked with The TCM Group in March 2021 on a team development project. The Pharmacy department is an intrinsic part of this organisation, responsible for all medicines produced and dispensed to patients. Distributing over 170,000 medicines annually, this team is one of the busiest departments in the entire hospital. TCM worked with the well-known hospital unit to promote collaboration, positive and proactive communication, and culture engagement within the team climate. This focused specifically on pharmacists within the department and their manager.
Targeting IssuesThe team within the pharmacy department identified specific issues that were obstructing the team’s capability to work optimally together. Two underlying themes emerged: Letting issues fester, becoming frustrated and misunderstanding each other’s actions and points of view;
Making ResolutionsA tailored team development programme was developed and delivered by Elizabeth Nuckowska, Resolution Consultant at The TCM Group. The programme pinpointed and addressed root causes of issues, working on four key elements: a Myer Briggs Type Indicator personality type profile, involving an individual online questionnaire, a follow-up workshop, and one-to-one coaching. 1. Personality type profile The impact:
- Create greater awareness of each other’s perspectives.
- Improve communication and understanding between team members.
- Cultivate empathy and a positive sense of goodwill throughout the team.
- Promote the team’s capability to be proactive in addressing issues in a timely way.
- Learn how to have positive discussions and share feedback to enable continual improvement.
- Respond positively to constructive feedback.
- Define a set of behaviours that relate to values that the team members considered essential to the work of the team.
- The creation and maintenance of a positive climate.
- Review and refresh learnings from the training.
- Create a framework to revisit and reinstate focus over time.
- Define needs to be highly effective, engaged, and collaborative.