About the author:If you would like to discuss Matt's post in more detail, please contact Matt at [email protected]
Date published: 21st February 2020
No team is too good for conflict! Conflict emerging in teams can indicate a healthy, innovative and high-growth culture. Sometimes however, that conflict can spill over into division and dysfunction, knocking a previously high-functioning team off course. It is precisely at these times of complex group conflict that TCM can help get your team back on track. We have identified 5 types of common team conflict. Some of these may seem familiar.
- All against one. One person has been identified by others as the problem. This situation can result in mobbing if not resolved.
- The 50/50 split. The team has been divided down the middle with factions or cliques forming. This can result in the team losing focus and becoming inefficient and dysfunctional.
- The Meltdown. In these conflicts, the situation is dynamic and alliances change quickly, impacting performance and team cohesion.
- The Abuser. In these situations, a charismatic individual abuses their authority or power, sowing discord.
- Silos. This is about inter-group working and how different teams move in opposition to each other, wasting resources and undermining organisational effectiveness.
- Helps teams reach a positive, appropriate and sustainable resolution to their issues
- Restores effective, productive and harmonious working relationships
- Leads to enhanced productivity, performance and profitability
- Improves morale, well-being and general attitude to work
- Results in reduced stress and stress-related absence
- Helps team to develop a shared vision, goals and objectives
- Can enhance the reputation of the team and the organisation.