Advanced Investigation Skills
This three-day course is an advanced investigation skills course. It is only available for in-house delivery as the course is designed around your organisations specific needs, policies and context. This course is designed for workplace investigators who are required to investigate complex cases of misconduct including serious or very complex cases of misconduct, bullying, harassment, discrimination and fraud. The investigation process and the report are designed to withstand scrutiny up to employment tribunals and the high court. The outcomes of the investigation, if upheld, may result in dismissal for gross misconduct. Delegates who successfully complete this course are able to refer themselves as TCM Certified Investigators
- Duration: 3 days
- Delivery: This course is available for in-house delivery or delegates can attend an open course at the TCM Academy.
- Trainers: Delivered by TCM’s expert resolution consultants.
- Suitable for: Line managers, supervisors, human resources and employee relations professionals. Lawyers, union officials and anyone who may be required to undertake a fact-finding exercise or neutral evaluation into a workplace issue.
- Learning outcomes: Learn how to set up an investigation and how to run a fact-finding exercise or a neutral evaluation.
- Assessment: Completion of an assessed investigation process along with investigation report plus learning logs.
- Reviews: Please click here for details of our Trust Pilot reviews.
- Cost: £695 + VAT for open courses. Contact us for our latest prices for in-house prices.
- Discounts: Book online to get 10% off using the code: ONLINE10.
What key skills do delegates learn on this course that will benefit your organisation?
1. Advanced Investigation Skills.
This three-day advanced investigation and interviewing skills™ course gives delegates a detailed insight into the investigation process along with the skills that they need to undertake a detailed and robust investigation into a wide range of complex and serious workplace issues including allegations of misconduct, fraud, bullying, harassment and discrimination. The course delivers detailed insights into the investigation process along with the skills required to set up and run a workplace investigation and to produce a detailed investigation report which will stand up to internal and external scrutiny.
2. Expertly trained workplace investigators.
Your organisation will have access to highly trained workplace investigators who can assist you to make an evidence based, fair and objective decision about how to resolve a workplace issue. This may include decisions to apply a disciplinary sanction up to and including the decision to dismiss. Delegates who successfully complete this course are able to refer themselves as TCM Certified Investigators.
- Be fully aware of the employer’s responsibilities and the employees’ rights in terms of managing workplace investigations.
- Understand how to set up and manage a thorough, fair and compassionate workplace investigation including defining the terms of reference.
- Understand how to create an investigation plan including what information to gather prior to an investigation commencing (scoping): specific details of allegations, chronology, organisational chart, key policies, contact details of parties, potential witnesses etc..
- Possess a detailed understanding of relevant employment and equalities legislation.
- Possess the key skills to undertake a complex and serious investigation: active listening, questioning. interviewing, dealing with hostile witnesses, funnelling, summarising and note-taking.
- Possess techniques to manage an effective investigation interview, including how to interview relevant witnesses.
- Understand how to prepare a well-structured investigation report that will withstand internal and external scrutiny.
- Recognise the importance of probity, impartiality and neutrality.
- Understand how to gather and assess relevant information: collect statements, background evidence, mitigation, etc., and how to determine relevance.
- Understand the context of the investigation and how it links to other processes such as mediation or coaching.
- Detailed understanding of the relevant legislative and statutory framework of workplace investigations.
- The responsibilities of the employer, the rights of the employee and the role of the investigator.
- What makes a good investigation and what makes a bad investigation?
- When to suspend, the implications of suspension and the right way to suspend an employee.
- Focus on the key stages of the workplace investigation.
- Scoping the process and agreeing terms of reference.
- Key investigation skills: impartiality, active listening, questioning, funnelling, summarising, assertiveness, and note-taking.
- How to gather and evaluate evidence objectively: witness statements, background evidence, mitigation, corroboration etc., and how to determine relevance.
- How to compile a well-structured investigation report which will withstand internal and external scrutiny.
- Be aware of the ‘ACAS Code of Practice on Discipline and Grievance’, ‘The Burchell Test’, ‘The Polkey Principle’ and how to apply the civil standard of proof in a workplace investigation.
- All delegates will receive The TCM investigator handbook which they can utilise to conduct investigations. The handbook includes copies of the following templates which can be adapted for use within the delegates’ organisations.
- Workplace investigation protocol
- Letters to various parties within an investigation
- A robust final report template
TCM trainers are experts at creating a safe, empowering and challenging training environment.
Numerous learning and teaching methods are used during the course and participants develop their knowledge through group discussions, case studies and participation in role-plays. Peer-based evaluation and learning feature heavily throughout the course and this is supported by the course facilitator’s extensive and detailed assessment of learner’s progress.
TCM delivers extensive support for delegates on all of our courses before, during and after the course concludes.
- Training delivered by a world class trainer who has practical experience of the subject being taught.
- The unique online TCM Delegate Zone™ which includes useful tool-kits, check sheets, videos, papers and other resources for delegates.
- Free copy of the TCM Workplace Investigators Handbook™.
- One to one coaching for delegates during the course and once the course concludes, as required.
- Assessment costs and a personal report for each learner.
- Full access to the amazing resources of the TCM Community for all delegates including lifetime phone and email support.
- A free refresher workshop or webinar 6 months after the training concludes.
Would you like this course delivered as an in-house course?
TCM specialises in tailoring all of our courses for in-house delivery. We also design and deliver bespoke courses and training programmes for our customers. If you would like to find out more, please call us now on 0800 294 9787 or complete the enquiry form below and we’ll call you straight back.
Practical Investigation Skills
Core Investigation Skills
The TCM Investigations Masterclass will provide everything that you need to avoid the common pitfalls to ensure that you get workplace investigations right first time!
Mediation and Investigations iOpener.
This short webinar (45 minutes) will provide a detailed overview of both the mediation and investigation processes.