TCM offers the benchmark OCN accredited training for internal workplace mediators – The National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™. We have been running this course for 16 years and have trained several thousand mediators who are now using the skills to resolve complex workplace issues. Organisations who have partnered with TCM to train mediators include: HSBC, Royal Mail, Network Rail, National Express, Marks and Spencer, BT, The Metropolitan Police, The Home Office, plus numerous universities, hospitals, police forces and councils.
Become an accredited mediator with the UK’s benchmark qualification for workplace mediation
Mediation is ideal for addressing a range of issues including relationship breakdown, personality clashes, communication problems, bullying, discrimination or harassment.
It might be a single employee with a grievance, a disagreement between an employee and a manager, or an issue between two co-workers.
Differences between individuals at work can lead to grievances, absenteeism and ultimately loss of valuable employees. As a result, workplace disputes cost businesses tens of thousands of pounds per year.
Mediation helps people sort out their differences – often in just one-day. That’s why organisations are increasingly training their staff to mediate in workplace disputes.
Your organisation may already be committed to mediation and wish train staff to the benchmark standard. If so, this is the ideal course.
The National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™ is our flagship course. This course has been delivered and refined over the past fourteen years and we have trained many hundreds of active mediators across the UK. It is the UK’s benchmark qualification for workplace, employment and business mediators.
The course is delivered over a five or six day period for groups of between 6 to 12 delegates.
Upon completion of the National Certificate in Workplace Mediation™, participants will have developed a highly effective framework enabling them to work as an accredited, professional workplace mediator.
All of our open access courses take place at our very own training centre in London.
The course cost includes:
- Course delivery by a world class mediation trainer
- Buffet lunch
- Tea, coffee & biscuits
- Course materials and online resources
- Pre-course documentation
- Accreditation fees with OCN
- Free copy of the Workplace Mediators Handbook™
- 12 months follow and support – this is an unrivaled level of aftercare and follow up
- A free refresher workshop (or webinar) at 6 months – Refresh, Recap, Reassure (RRR)
AGENDAS AND OBJECTIVES
- Duration: 5 or 6 days (dependent on group size) – one full week or two-blocks.
- Suitable for: Anyone who has a role that deals with issues in the workplace, including HR professionals, business leaders, managers and consultants.
- Learning outcomes: To understand every stage of mediation, how to handle complex cases and how to secure enduring and constructive outcomes.
- Delivery: In-house (London & Regional) & open access.
- Accrediting body: Open College Network (OCN)
- Trainers: Delivered by TCM’s expert resolution consultants.
- Cost: £1,795 + VAT for open access courses. Contact us for our latest prices for in-house courses.
Upcoming course dates 2018:
- 13th, 14th, 15th & 21st, 22nd March 2018 – FULL
- 23rd – 27th April 2018 – FULL
- 15th, 16th, 17th & 24th, 25th May 2018 – FULL
- 18th – 22nd June 2018
- 17th, 18th, 19th & 25th, 26th July 2018
- 20th – 24th August 2018
- 11th, 12th, 13th & 19th, 20th September 2018
- 15th – 19th October 2018
- 6th, 7th, 8th & 14th, 15th November 2018
Venue: The TCM Group, Unit 235 Business Design Centre, 52 Upper Street, London, N1 0QH.
The course gives delegates:
- An in-depth analysis of the psychology of conflict
- Understanding of the cause and effect of workplace disputes
- The skills to identify cases where mediation is suitable
- The role of mediation in the modern workplace
- The step-by-step mediation model
- Skills and strategies to mediate complex employment and workplace disputes
Module1: Psychology of conflict
Module 2: Principles and process of workplace mediation
Module 3: The FAIR Mediation Model
Module 4: Skills and strategies for the workplace mediator
Module 5: Managing the FAIR mediation process
Module 6: Become the competent mediator- practicing the FAIR process
Outcomes – the objective for the delegate is to be able to:
- Understand the causes and the nature of dysfunctional conflict at work, recognising the symptoms and expressions of dysfunctional conflict along with its underlying causes and effects.
- Transform dysfunctional and destructive conflict into functional and co-operative dialogue.
- Compare and contrast the various conflict management strategies available to organisations and to understand their own personal conflict management styles.
- Understand the stages of mediation and demonstrate competency in managing the process in a safe and controlled manner.
- Understand the standards of practice which mediators must adhere to before, during and after mediation.
- Recognise and develop strategies for overcoming potential blocks and barriers to the mediation process.
- Consider the relationship between conflict, power, prejudice and discrimination; define the role of the mediator in developing an equitable and safe environment for positive dialogue.
- Enhance parties’ communication skills and develop core competencies in active listening, including the use of appropriate questions, reframing, funnelling, mirroring and summarising.
Course accredited by OCN
The course is fully accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) and is delivered by the UK’s top dispute resolution experts. It is constantly reviewed and developed to ensure that it is relevant and applicable to today’s rapidly changing workplace.
OCN London is a national qualification awarding organisation regulated by Ofqual and the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA). With 25 years’ experience of accrediting courses for a wide range of centres, they are a market leader in the recognition of learner achievement through credit-based units and qualifications.
Learning and teaching methods
Numerous learning and teaching methods are used during the course and participants develop their knowledge through group discussions, case studies and participation in role-plays. Peer-based evaluation and learning feature heavily throughout the course and this is supported by the course facilitator’s extensive and detailed assessment of learners progress.
Independent learning and reflection, which takes place outside course hours, will also be assessed.
Participants will gain expertise in mediation, negotiation, problem-solving and facilitation whilst developing the skills and competencies to work as mediators within their own organisations or as external mediation consultants.
Upon completion of the National Certificate in Workplace Mediation, participants will have developed a highly effective framework enabling them to work as an accredited, professional workplace mediator.
See what course participants have to say
"This is a great course, able to provide delegates with the confidence and skills to effectively mediate disputes and difficult situations. Thank you!"
"This course is just brilliant. I enjoyed the frequent role plays and the trainer’s tips and feedback. This course has exceeded my expectations. I feel as though I am ready to practise a real mediation session. TCM are a very professional organisation, able to provide delegates with valuable skills, practise and confidence for becoming a successful mediator."
" I chose TCM on the back of a recommendation from one of my colleagues who had undertaken the course. Before I complete the course, I was expecting to gain a good understanding of what it takes to be a successful mediator. The course not only exceeded my expectations but I honestly think that this was the highest quality of training I have ever received. The pace of training was just right and I feel much more confident than before because of the role plays."
"This course was both challenging and rewarding and has completely changed my perception of conflict – conflict can be good! I liked the different styles and the interactive way in which the modules were taught. Both tutors (Claire & Elaine) were inspiring and motivating."
"The trainers gave us 100% attention and were happy to answer questions, even during breaks. The structure was good. This was a steep learning course, but it challenged and inspired in all the right ways. I feel equipped with a whole new skill set."
"Very useful with great teachers and learning teams. I am really happy I have acquired new professional skills. I also want to add the great support provided by The TCM Group in making mediation a cornerstone of our internal justice process."
"Having been at the university for over 8 years, this is the most useful course I have attended by far! Initially I felt a bit reluctant to give up 5 days, but time was used very well. I now appreciate that it would not have been possible to achieve the same amazing learning outcomes with less time. The course was challenging with transferable and applicable skills."